Wednesday 23 October 2013

Cupcakes Phobia

What have I been doing for the past 2 days?? Urrmmm... Well, I've been baking. Cupcakes specifically. So over CUPCAKES these days after watching DC Cupcakes. LOL

 
I've been baking Vanilla cupcakes and Oreo cupcakes but to all produce disappointed results !! Saddd.... =( The Vanilla cupcakes recipe is obtained from Martha Steward while the Oreo cupcake recipe is obtained from a recipe book.
 
A failed Vanilla cupcake >.<
 
At least the Vanilla one is still much more edible than the hard and wet Oreo ones. Nahh. I didn't time to snap a picture of the Oreo cupcakes. They tasted horrible that I threw them in the bin after a taste. Blekkk..
 
Giving up is so not on my dictionary. Keep wondering what did I do wrong in baking them? Perhaps it's because I didn't follow the step-to-step. For the Oreo, after beating the egg and sugar, I straight add in flour without adding in milk and corn oil first. A MAJOR mistake! Frustrated for producing inedible cupcakes two in a row, I'm off to find answers for that brfore baking another batch of cupcakes tomorrow. 
 
So,
 
WHAT CAN GO WRONG IN BAKING CUPCAKES ??
 
1. Measurements and Proportions
I took granted for small little things like a difference in 1 ml or 10 grams. The mistake I learn here is that I need precise measurements and not just 'agak-agak'.
 
 "Many recipes are poorly constructed or contain errors, which doom your best efforts before you ever start. The key to evaluating recipes is to understand the necessary proportions. This is easier to do with professional recipes, because they're measured by weight, but you can use a kitchen scale to check the familiar recipes you use. In a regular butter cake, the weight of sugar should be equal or less than the flour, the fat equal or less than the eggs, and the eggs and milk together should equal the weight of flour. Too much liquid is a common cause of cupcakes falling."

2. Mixing
As I'm still using the old fashioned electric beater which needs the help of my hands, I don't think I've beaten the eggs to the correct texture as I stopped when my hands got tired. Hmm. Way to go...
 
"Most of the problems found in butter cake batter are also found in sponge cake batter, with a few extra ones for good measure. Sponge cakes rely on beaten egg whites for most of their volume. Egg whites won't achieve their best volume if any yolk or other fat gets into the whites before they're whipped, or if they're too cold. If the egg whites aren't folded into the batter with a delicate enough hand, you'll lose much of your volume and the cupcakes may be cratered in the middle. Sponge batters are especially susceptible to shaking and banging as they bake."

3. Baking
I never thought that I can get the temperature wrong! *gob smacked

"Assuming that your recipe works properly, and that you've measured and mixed the ingredients correctly, you still have to bake the cupcakes successfully. If the temperature is too low, they won't rise properly and will leave a small crater in the center. If the oven is too hot, they'll puff mightily and then collapse. They'll also fall if the oven is jostled or the door is slammed, while they're risen but not yet set. Baked cupcakes will collapse in the middle if they are taken out of the oven before they're quite baked through, or if they cool too rapidly."
 
 
I also understand that to produce a successful cupcakes, oven played an important part too. I never actually understand the fanning sign or the square box on the my oven. They have their roles there too. According to CupcakesIndulgence, she baked her cupcakes at 180 degrees without fan assist and at 170 degrees when using the thermofan. And that thermofan uses less electricity. Well, I do realized that my oven have hot and cold spot (as she called it) when my cupcakes at the inside part baked much earlier than the ones in front.
 
Note: DO NOT disturb the cupcakes the first 15 minutes by opening the oven. It is to let them develop structural integrity. Shift the position of the cupcakes to hoy or cold position only after that.
 
After baking, 
 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE TEXTURE OF MY CUPCAKES ??
 
1. There's a hole in the middle
Thou I've not encounter this problem this time but I've experienced that previously but I never thought it's a problem until I google it out today.
 
"Most common reason is when the oven door is opened too soon and the cake hasn’t set up and baked properly. The mixture could be too soft due to not enough ingredients or if there is too much liquid added. Using too much raising agents can make the cake rise too much too quickly and it implodes on itself."
 
2. There's a big peak that crack
Well, at least Popo said it's nice. Nah. In my opinion, the perfect cupcakes would be the one rise evenly. And explanation to that is...
 
"Cakes which dome or peak and crack are usually as a result of the butter and sugar not being creamed together for long enough. Give the ingredients a good five to seven minutes of creaming, this incorporates air into the mix making it light and fluffy. Baking in too small a tin restricts the expansion of the mix, so up it goes and pops! Also baking  too close to the top of the oven will make the center rise before the sides have had a chance to catch up. However, it is natural for madeira cake to dome and crack."


 
3. Too dry
The Oreo cupcakes is so dry even thou I've adding 175 ml of milk in. And my answer to that is...
 
"Maybe you’ve over baked it, or didn’t use enough liquid/ not enough eggs, if the recipe says use large eggs and you haven’t got large, use an extra egg, size matters! Using too much raising agents will also make for a dry cake."


4. Holes in the cake
My cupcakes seems to have pimples mark on their surface. If you don't like to have pimples scar on my face, I also don't like to have pimples scar on my cupcakes !!
 
"Again the culprit is not enough creaming, this time sugar, eggs and butter/marg.Oven temperature too high and too much baking powder will also cause holes and an uneven grainy texture. Add eggs into creamed butter/sugar mix one at a time, cream well so the mix is smooth and incorporated. If the mix starts to separate add a tablespoon of flour with each egg. The rest of the flour should be carefully folded in with a large metal spoon so as not to lose any of the air in the mix."
 
5. Closed Rubbery Texture??
I don't understand this term however, it's here to remind me not to make this mistake.
 
"Over mixing cake batter can result in a heavy, closed rubbery texture. Over mixing acts on the gluten in flour and will make cakes hard instead of the lovely soft spongy texture we associate with a good cake. Insufficient  creaming of sugar and eggs will also make a tight texture because there isn’t enough air trapped in the mix to give it a lift. Adding too much liquid will make it dense and pudding like. Genoise sponge will become heavy if the melted butter is too hot when added and if it is not folded in evenly."
 
Thanks to Designer Cakes & Cupcake Indulgence for the professional advice. Hope it helps and we better get a much nicer cupcakes tomorrow!!
 
Y.O.L.O
You Only Love Once
<3


No comments:

Post a Comment