Monday 21 April 2014

Losing weight

I'm always being chubby since small. I am the first child so I guess for the first two years, I was being pampered by all to the fullest. I used to eat 2 plates of rice each meal when I'm small. Weight is not a problem back them. Mum and the rest didn't complain on my eating habit. No one did to correct or advise or stop me. So I keep the habit till Standard 6 (12 y/o). And some how, weight suddenly become an issue. Whenever we were asked to weigh in class, I would always find a way to be the last one or ran away from it. Suddenly, at the age of 12, I need to find adult jeans and clothes already. No more kids wear for me. But by then, it still wasn't any big issue. It was when I'm 14, when the issue started to raise. Issue where I'm too fat and has no boyfriend. Issue where I'm too fat to fit on my school pinafore that I need to wear the biggest size available in the market. Issue where every new year I need to settle with jeans and tees coz there's no dress for me.

I tried to lose weight. I swear I did. But it wasn't as easy as it seems. It's not easy to change a habit as old habits die hard. Reducing my meal portions and exercise. Weight suddenly become a sensitive issue. I became ashamed of my weight that I avoided it as much as I can. People would always compare me with Brenda and Niki who have a slimmer body. Saying how pretty they are. Saying how perfect is their body shape. The most hurtful things that were said to me was that because I'm too fat that no guy wants me when SHE has people queuing up to date her. It was a slap on the face. I cried and cried to mum and Niki. Niki was the one to console me. After that, I do tried to lose my weight but it only lasted for a while.

It was back in the December when I made a life-threatening bet with CK Pa to lose as much as 10 kg in two months. Everyone said it was impossible. They don't trust in the girl that used to eat in big portions can cut down her meals or start putting the effort to hop on the treadmill. Literally, no one has faith in me. But at the end, thou I do not lose a total of 10kg but then I made it to almost 9 kg, at 69.8kg (as for January 2014). That is close enough. And as for now, my weight is 71.6kg. It was higher in the beginning of April at 72.8 kg. Blame that on nasi lemak and fried kuey teow. Was constantly eating at the campus with Sha. I guess I've found my eating buddy. From the stress and such, I managed to lose weight almost a kilo in 3 weeks time. One might says that," Nah. You took diet pills."

I dare say that I do not take any diet pills or any other slimming products. I don't take anything during that interval of time. Make that clear. I do admit those slimming products are very tempting. The impossible seems possible looking at their advertisements. Imagine losing 9 kg in two weeks without any exercise or changing you diet. Who the hell do not want that?! You can still continue eating and at the same time, you're losing weight. That's heaven. I said I do not take any diet pills back during December but I did not said I never take slimming products. Like everyone out there that wants fast result, I did consume slimming products. When I was 13, I took the Jus Mate 5 by Datuk Dr. Rozmey. It was a hit back then. I convinced mum to let me have it. As far as I can recall, I had it for months.

Jus Mate 5 packaging



http://www.dietmate5.com/v2/images/testi1.jpg
  Advertised testimonials on the products
It suppose to control eating appetite, blocks the formation of fats, reduce sugar intake, increase metabolism and convert carbohydrate to energy. I was so impressed with the testimonials. 25kg in 3 months. Imagine that happen to me. We're just required to have it once in the morning for breakfast. As for lunch, it is recommended to take soup or sandwich and a little amount of rice if needed. As for dinner, eating fruits such as green apple is enough. Jus Mate was easier to consume as it taste like orange juice. I don't remember experienced any symptoms while taking it. Jus Mate 5 did reduce my weight but once I stopped consuming it, I gain weight back.
 The second sliming products that I took was from WXY, S'Nutri + Mocha and S'Nutri + Beauty Solution. It works magically. S' Nutri + Mocha is taken in the morning before I went to school while S'Nutri + Beauty Solution I took before dinner. The mocha one is easier to consume coz it's basically just like hot coffee whereas the one I find it hard to drink is the Beauty Solution coz it's fiber based. Basically, it's like drinking people's vomit. I can't stand but still drank it for the sake of beauty. The Beauty solution works to allivate constipation. Drink already confirm pang sai. 

 Comes in different flavors



From my continuous 3 months drinking, I lost a total of 9kg in that year. They do really reduce my appetite. Wait, scratch that. I don't feel like eating at all. In the morning, I took a cup of the mocha flavor and at night I have the beauty solution. That is all I have. As far as I can recalled, I don't feel like eating at all. Nothing. No more feeling hungry no matter what time it is. Beauty comes with the consequences. Each time I tried to stand up, after sitting down, I felt so dizzy that I have to stand still for a minute to regain my sight since I didn't take any solid food in. As for the mocha one, each time after I took it, I'll experienced a terrible stomach pain in school that my face would go pale. So pale that my friends were worried of me. It was a terrible experience. Experience that I wish not to go through again.
So how does the diet pills actually works? Different diet pills contain different ingredients. Therefore, their side effect also vary. Since our aim is to lose weight, the very first thing that the diet pills must do is to block the fats. Fat blockers like orlistat (Xenical) remove excess fat via intestines which will in turn cause discomfort cramping, gas and diarrhea. The drugs also reduce the body's adsorption of essential vitamins and nutrients. Therefore, those taking Xenical are advised to take daily vitamin supplement.
Sibutramine (Meridia) and other similar appetite suppressants stimulate the sympathetic nervous system which can raise blood pressure and heart rate. The increase of heart rate can lead to the increase of risk of heart attack and cardiac arrest especially those who are already suffering from high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat and heart disease. Minor side effects include constipation, headache, dry mouth and insomnia since the chemicals in the drugs will also influence sleep patterns.
Here's the list of drugs and their side effects
Brand Drug Name
Drug Category
Common Side Effects
Adipex-P (phentermine)
Appetite suppressant; sympathomimetic amine
Increased blood pressure and heart rate, insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, dependence, abuse or withdrawal may occur with long-term use
Alli (orlistat) - over-the-counter (OTC) only
Lipase inhibitor
Oily spotting, gas (flatulence), fecal urgency, soft stools, fecal incontinence; take Alli with a daily multlivitamin
Belviq (lorcaserin)
Selective serotonin 2C receptor agonist (suppresses appetite)
Headache, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, dry mouth, constipation; euphoria/ dissociation may occur with higher doses; do not exceed 10 mg two times a day
Bontril PDM, Bontril SR (phendimetrazine)
Appetite suppressant; sympathomimetic amine
Increased blood pressure and heart rate, insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, dependence, abuse or withdrawal may occur with long-term use
Desoxyn (methamphetamine)
Appetite suppressant; sympathomimetic amine
High abuse potential; use only if alternative treatments are ineffective; increased blood pressure and heart rate, insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, dependence, abuse or withdrawal may occur with long-term use
Didrex (benzphetamine)
Appetite suppressant; sympathomimetic amine
Increased blood pressure and heart rate, insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, dependence, abuse or withdrawal may occur with long-term use
Diethylpropion
Appetite suppressant; sympathomimetic amine
Constipation, restlessness, dry mouth, Increased blood pressure and heart rate, insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, dependence, abuse or withdrawal may occur with long-term use
Qsymia (phentermine and topiramate extended-release capsules)
Combination appetite suppressant-anorectic; exact action of topiramate on weight loss is not known
Paresthesias, dizziness, altered taste, insomnia, constipation, dry mouth
Suprenza (phentermine)
Appetite suppressant; sympathomimetic amine
Increased blood pressure and heart rate, insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, dependence, abuse or withdrawal may occur with long-term use
Xenical (orlistat)
Lipase inhibitor
Oily spotting, gas (flatulence), fecal urgency, soft stools, fecal incontinence; take Xenical with a daily multivitamin

Herbal diet pills, thou are "all natural" doesn't necessarily means "safe". They can have potential side effects too depending on their ingredients. According to experts at Mayo Clinic, diet pills can be effective if combined with a healthy diet and regular exercise. But then, think again and reconsider your options. There are just too many side effects of taking diet pills. It's just not worth risking your life. So what if people didn't want to date you if you're fat. I would say it's their loss. They prefer the skinny bimbo who ain't got nothing but bones!

Make sure you are aware of the sign effects before taking
So here's to share my own diet to lose 9kg in two months time. I admit that I don't exercise at all. In my opinion, exercise tire me out and by that I'll eat more instead of reducing my portions. What I do is to take oats for breakfast, steamed dim sum/ dumplings for lunch and as for dinner, I had some fruits and again oats. One might asked how do I eat my oats. The one I had is the instant one. I had in a cup, two tablespoon of oats with a teaspoon of creamer. I love to take my oats warm. As for lunch, I usually have around 6 pieces of steamed dumplings. Or in certain days, I would have pork porridge for lunch where Popo used brown rice. I guess eating oats only will really kill me. No taste, or anything. This is where the fruits come into place. I usually have an apple or some watermelons. Please don't tell me that, "Green apples are way better". I just need some sweetness in my systems. Something like a reward after a whole day of eating oats. And also drink lots of water.
The one trick that I do when I'm on my diet is to poop more often. It is not advisable to do this but then I take constipation pills (Senokot) in 6 tablets daily. I'm fully aware that it was way pass the amount prescribe but then I guess it's better than eating those diet pills who contain far more chemicals. I was on a bet so I need to lose weight fast so I guess you don't need this. And I have constipation problems since I don't take vegetables. It's a bonus if you eat vegetables. Perhaps you can consider salad. That's your choice. Perhaps losing weight is not all about being pretty and sexy. Maybe for once I want to be healthy but doing it right and by right I mean not taking diet pills. 
And also, I stop drinking cold water. I love to drink cold water especially orange juice that Popo made. I don't know how to explain this in English but the Malays often said that drinking cold water can "kembang urat". The direct translation to it is swollen vein. Huh? It's what old people said. So I really refrain myself from opening the fridge and take a sip of the cold and sweet water during the period. And now, I still refrain myself from having cold water. Once in a while is okay but not too often. I don't know how it works but then, I did really lose weight right? So it doesn't really matter as for it really contributes or not.
 This entry was written because I was so terrified for my friend, AJY who's currently taking weight loss supplement who's quite famous in the market. And no, I don't take that brand even thou I heard lots of testimonials about it. Currently, she was having gout from taking it. I don't what happen but she was so desperate to lose weight and I fear for her. I hope she'll come round to see how beautiful she is and stop taking all these weight loss supplements as they did no good but harm to the body.
 I really really wish that people would consider other options rather than consuming diet pills. I hope my way of losing weight do really inspire others by showing them that we can still lose weight even without weight loss supplements. To achieve great result, there's no easy way. It's either you exercise and cut your meal portions or taking diet pills and bear with the consequences later in older days.

This is my weight as 17 April.

As for this morning, it's 70.8kg!
Applause please?

Thanks for reading chubby girl's weight loss journey
Kay! Thanks! Bye!!
Mwah!

Part 2 of my weight loss journey is up in this link

No comments:

Post a Comment