Saturday 31 August 2013

Last Day of August - Durian Kueh

I've always wanted to learn Popo's recipe from her. Little by little, I'm collecting all so one day I can pass it down to my daughter, perhaps. Since it is durian season here, now, there are durians everywhere selling as cheap as RM 1 for a durian. Mind you thou, those are only kampong durian. Nevertheless, they taste awesome too. Can't get the awesomeness enough.

Yesterday, I literally beg Popo to teach me how to cook durian kueh or durian cake. Actually it's not cake, it's more to kueh coz there's no batter involve. I just dunno how to explain. Just see and observed. Before starting, Popo already told me that lots of stirring needed. Frankly speaking, after doing durian kueh, what I gotta say is that you really need a tough hands to do this. No lies. I'm just gonna do this one time and never again. Or maybe one day in the future, passing this very unique recipe to my daughter.

Nowadays, I can rarely see anymore people selling durian kueh. Maybe the tiring process just not worth the amount of money you get from selling.

Durian Kueh's recipe

Ingredients:
  • 400 g of durian (seedless)
  • 200 g of coarse sugar
Mix all those cheap durians I bought
 
Popo said, "Take a blunt knife and scrape out all the flesh."
 
 
 
 
 
Using this type of wok
 
There's a purpose for the two durian seed being in there
 
Mix in both durian and sugar, start the fire.
 
Start stirring non stop.
 
Popo is stirring for me while I rest my hand for a while
 
Keep stirring...
 
It started to form a solid mould.
At this stage, you can see the seed is slowly being separated from the contents.
This indicated that it is almost cooked.
 
Took it out and place it on a plate.
Here is where you have to remove those uncooked impurities.
Caution hot!
 
After that, mould it into any shape you desired.
This is the easiest.
 
There you have it. A homemade durian kueh. I would say the hardest part is stirring when it gets more solid. Lots of energy and muscle needed. To cooked this, I only took almost 40 minutes which is far lesser than Popo said. Maybe it is because I'm cooking in a small amount.
  
Popo also added that this durian kueh is made because the durian fruit can't last long. So in order to eat durian after the season is over, people made this. If keep properly (refrigerate), it can last till a year.
 
So here's the very own Grandma's recipe. You may put lesser sugar if you does not prefer it to be sweet. Keep note that the color of the kueh may be vary as it depends on the color of the durian flesh.
 
Happy stirring. And hello to September!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment