Saturday 31 August 2013

Happy 56th Birthday, Malaysia

Selamat Hari Merdeka! Happy Independence Day! Me proud to be yours.

 
A 56th years of independence. Malaysia has come a long way to its glory today. The freedom was given by the blood that was taken. In harmony and peace, we lived together as one. I remember when I was small, Mum enthusiastically woke us up that very morning to go to the parade or watch it live from our rear projection TV. In front of the big screen, the three stupid little girls went on singing to their heart contents, feeling proud inside.
 
 
That was long gone. Today, the three girls have grown and prefer to sleep than going for the parade. Things have changed much. The girls no longer singing the national anthem or the Merdeka songs with a sense of proud.
 
When I was 10, I joined the parade with a bunch of my Girl Guides' friends. As early as 6.30 in the morning, we were lining up in the stadium thou the event started at 8. From there, we joined others from different school and various organizations. And from there, we walked almost 3 km to give respect to the Sultan and Sultanah. I do complain a lot at that time. Hot la. Tired la. But it's a good experience.
 
I don't see my two little brothers did that anymore. No joining the parade nor watch it live. This saddens me as we, Malaysians should be proud of who and what we are.
 
Popo (Grandma) often told part of her stories about merdeka celebration. She was only 10 at that time when freedom was given. She said that all races, no matter Malays, Chinese and Indians would all sit on boats to go to the stadium. On the way there, those on cars would honked and shouted "Merdeka". A spirit that was long gone. Spectators in the stadium shouted "Merdeka" with proud and joy. Youngsters these days shouted as if they were forced to. I love to hear her old stories and imagine myself in there.
 
As for myself, in school, we would have competition between classes to compete for Most Patriotic awards. We would clean and decorate the class. That very one year, we also painted murals on that class walls with the theme "Unity Is Us"
 
My favorite song would be the Tanggal 31 by Surdiman. Whenever I forget which year we first celebrated Merdeka, I would hummed "Tanggal 31 Bulan 8, 57." A very nice song that I believe is still being sing till today thou there are lots of other patriotic songs out there.
 
 
Saya Anak Malaysia is also my favorite. A music video that reflects us all. ^_^
 

 
Well, before I end this, here's our national anthem, beautifully sang by Janelle Arnelia.
 
 
Saya Anak Malaysia !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment