Friday 2 May 2014

Fried cauliflower

The clock is ticking extremely slow today. I figure since I'm so bored, I better finish up the rest of my delay entries since I'm going back to hectic college life in 3 days. Feel so sad to leave home but yet excited for my next semester where I will be taking only 4 subjects which are Chem, Bio, Computing Essential and Algebra. Wish me all the best.

Kay. So yesterday was an extremely busy day for me. I went to JPJ and renewed my car license with Mousy. After 2 years of amateur driver, I finally got to throw my 'lesen lembu' away and be a amateur driver. The next step to this is get myself a racing license to race on track. Vroom vroom...

Mousy finally decided to go for STPM.
Wise choice
 
 
Later in the afternoon, we (me, Popo and maid) decided to get our hands on cooking fat rice. Hahaha. Direct translation from 'nasi lemak'. It is called nasi lemak or coconut rice as the rice is cooked in coconut milk and 'pandan' / screwpine leaves. Traditional nasi lemak is eaten with anchovies, egg, cucumber slices, roasted peanut and it's sambal (spicy sauce) while the modern version of it is eaten with fried chicken, fried egg, sambal prawn or sambal squid or even rending daging together with either cucumber, kangkung (stir fried water convolvulus) or acar (spicy pickled vegetables salad). Oohh. And I think I just smelt the fragrance of nasi lemak.
 
 
The recipe I retrieve from the net was not precise in measurement. Urghh. It turns out my rice was fragrant, thanks to the screwpine leaves but lack in flavor. Modifications are awfully needed but I shall modify it the next time I'm home. It shall be around the Raya holidays or my next sem break which will be around August. This is the pathetic recipe.
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of coconut milk - which is obviously not enough. 2 will be much better
  • 1 1/4 cups of water - also not enough as later on I added almost 3 cups
  • 3 cups rice
  • 3 slices ginger
  • 3 bulbs shallot - I don't add this coz it feels weird
  • 1 piece pandan / screwpine leaves - the more the better
  • A little salt - change it to at least 1 tbsp. of salt for the saltiness in the rice
For some unexplained reason, the recipe feels weird. And I managed to obtain two versions of nasi lemak again from a recipe book for future references. I hope either one of them works.
 
Recipe 1
Ingredients:
  • 1 kg rice
  • 900g coconut milk
  • 2 nos pandan leaves
  • 30 g salt
Recipe 2
Ingredients:
  • 1 kg rice
  • 900g coconut milk
  • 2 nos
  • 2 stalks Lemongrass
  • 40 g Ginger roots
  • 30g salt
Nasi lemak doesn't live to its name without the sambal. The sambal is the core of the dish so it's important to get this part right. A nicely cooked sambal often goes with either fried anchovies or fish.
 
Ingredients:
  • 6 tbsp. cili giling / blended chili
  • 3 bulbs shallot
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 bulbs of onions
  • Anchovies
  • A little tamarind juice
  • A pinch of belacan / shrimp paste
  • Sugar and salt to taste
We're at lost this part cuz I have two recipes which stated differently. One uses the blended chili and the other used dried chili and blend them. We used both and discover that dried chili makes the sambal a lot more spicy. So if you like it spicy, perhaps you should go for dried chili otherwise stick to already processed blended chilli. By that 'a little tamarind juice' means at least a cup of ready squeeze tamarind juice. Make a note that Popo also added gula Melaka (palm sugar) in. The outcome was a perfect sambal. At least we managed to get the sambal right. I shall rewrite a more precise measurement the next time we make nasi lemak. Till then, be patient!
 
That was lunch and as for dinner, we make fried cauliflower. I've never eat vegetables in my life till recently when I went to college. Beggars can be choosers. From there, I started with cabbage, salad, mixed vegetables and most recently, cauliflowers. Cut the crap where vegetables are good for health and you should eat them on daily basis. Trust me when I said my friends have tried that tricks. So save your saliva and keep your mouth shut. Frankly speaking, I've never think that I will eat that afro head vegie ever in my life but I guess I just did! The fried cauliflower is fried with a crispy batter. I can tell you that the whole family love it. It is very rare to have all the 5 of us liking on the same thing except for money la. Hahaha.
 
Ingredients:
  • 5 tbsp. corn flour
  • 3 tbsp. rice flour
  • 1 tbsp. tapioca flour
  • Water
Mix it all together and you will get a dense batter. Dip the cauliflower in the batter and fried them till golden brown. I'm sorry to say that I don't have the exact measurement on the water but I shall update this recipe. That's my promise. So come back soon and check often for the updated version of it. We have the fried cauliflower with Thai chili sauce. I guess this is one of the way to persuade children to start eating vegetables. It's not healthy as it is fried but it will do. This batter will also goes with squid or prawns as it is very crispy. It fits all!
 
I was in a rush to meet my friends and hence the poor quality of picture
But don't let your eyes fool you...
 
Thanks for reading and go start cooking.
Bye! Mwah mwah



No comments:

Post a Comment